What you need to complete the 2024-25 FAFSA
Students can complete the FAFSA at studentaid.gov as soon as the application opens, typically in October of their senior year. The 2024-2025 FAFSA application will open in December, as a result of the new simplified FAFSA. It is important to be aware of all deadlines related to the FAFSA. Make sure to check with the colleges/universities on your list for their individual deadlines as well as deadlines for the grants from the State of Mississippi. Attend your high school’s FAFSA completion event or make an appointment with a Get2College counselor to get our help completing your FAFSA.
Some colleges may require the CSS/Financial Aid Profile® in addition to the FAFSA.
In order to complete the FAFSA, you will need to bring information for the parent(s) and the student. If your parents are divorced or separated, bring the information below for the parent who provided the most financial support in the last 12 months. If that parent has remarried, bring information for the step-parent as well. Do not bring information on a grandparent, aunt, or anyone other than a parent unless you have been legally adopted (even if someone else claims you on the federal tax return).
- Both the student & parent(s) FSA IDs must be made at least three (3) days in advance to your scheduled appointment. To create this, please Click Here
- To view who may be a contributor on your FAFSA and who may need an FSA ID: Who is a contributor on your FAFSA??
- Parent(s) and student’s legal names
- Parent(s) and student’s Social Security numbers
- Parent(s) and student’s dates of birth
- A parent’s MS driver’s license or MS issued ID
- Email addresses for student and parent (Email addresses are now required to create an FSA ID)
- Permanent resident card (if applicable)
- List of colleges (up to 20) that you want to receive your FAFSA results. Mark the college in Mississippi that you are most likely to attend (only one allowed on the state aid application).
- Access to cell phones for parent and student to verify phone number via text
- Info for parent(s) with who provide the most financial support over the last 12 months: marriage date, divorce date, or separation date
- If you are in a legal guardianship, bring court papers for the guardianship
- W-2 forms and other records of money earned in 2022 (student and parents)
- Entire 2022 Federal Income Tax Return (including the 1040 form and Schedules for student and parents) – If your parents or parent and step-parent file separately, bring copies of both tax returns
- Where To Find My 2022 Tax Information: Click Here
- Value of bank accounts and investments (separate out those in retirement accounts)
- Value of privately owned business or farm
- Value of child support received in 2022
Parents who have completed the FAFSA for themselves or other children will use the same FSA ID (username and password) for all children. Please have this information and be available for an access code via email or call, this will be necessary to complete the FAFSA.
If your student is NOT with you, please have access to your student so that they can verify codes sent to their cell phone and their email.